Re: Feedback wanted: Testing side-tag for switching dnf5 in Rawhide

Hello Michael,

Does this mean that distro-upgrade from F41 to F42 is supposed to work
at F41 release time (ideally at beta time)?

Yes, the system-upgrade functionality should be available before the Fedora 41
release date. We're planning extensive testing for this, including a Fedora Testing Day.

While our goal is to deliver the final system-upgrade functionality before the stable release,
some adjustments may be made during the Fedora 41 lifecycle to ensure smoother
upgrades from F41 to F42. Before executing the system-upgrade, users are anyway
advised to ensure that all installed packages are fully updated.

Jan

On Thu, Apr 25, 2024 at 10:22 AM Michael J Gruber <mjg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Jan Kolarik venit, vidit, dixit 2024-04-25 07:42:10:
> Hello everyone,
>
> We've prepared a side-tag for testing Rawhide with dnf5 as the default
> package manager. Instructions for installing the packages from the side-tag
> can be found at the following link [1].
>
> Please provide feedback in Bodhi or on this mailing list regarding the use
> cases you're familiar with from the existing dnf command, and share your
> experience with this new version.
>
> If there's no negative feedback regarding any critical functionality, we
> plan to push the packages from the side-tag to Rawhide next week.

Does this mean that distro-upgrade from F41 to F42 is supposed to work
at F41 release time (ideally at beta time)?

I'm all for dnf5 and would use it now (and hat an epsisode on F39), but
since distro-ugrades F40->F41 are off the table (as has been stated)
it's not a good idea to use it in F40 unless you are willing to deal
with autoremove trouble and the like.

So, if we push dnf5 as default to rawhide now we have to be reasonably
sure that F41 will distro-ugrade to F42 using dnf5.

Michael