Re: RC 1.14 fails in VirtualBox, has problems in UTM

On Fri, 2024-04-19 at 15:19 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
> Tested this morning in the latest VBox 7.0.16 (which in theory
> supports kernel 6.8). Running on macOS Monterey, 12.7.4 (latest
> release for my hardware).
>
> GNOME edition: I got a message that my VM had outdated Guest
> Additions, which I took as a good sign. However, installation froze
> hard, locking the mouse pointer and whole VM, at 8% complete.
>
> KDE edition: severe text corruption made it inoperable; almost no text
> visible in the installer.
>
> I tried again in the latest UTM, which uses QEMU under the hood.
>
> GNOME: worked fine, nicely responsive.
>
> KDE: installer draws a blank featureless blue screen. I turned off GPU
> passthrough and tried again.  Completed fine, and works fine, although
> it is a little sluggish.
>
> Sound does not work in either desktop, though.
>
> I just thought you might like to know.

Just tested KDE. I can reproduce the installer corruption on VirtualBox
with 3D passthrough enabled. On my first try to boot with 3D
passthrough disabled it wouldn't get to a desktop at all, I'll try
again later. On VMware (Player, current version, 3D passthrough
enabled) it seems fine - didn't actually run through the install yet as
my partner needed his computer back, but I'll try it later :P I'm
testing on an HP all-in-one with Intel graphics running Windows 11
23H2.

Sound was fine on VirtualBox. On VMWare it plays but is distorted,
don't know why.
--
Adam Williamson (he/him/his)
Fedora QA