Re: Updating Taskwarrior to v3

Hi Ankur,

On 4/15/24 07:59, Ankur Sinha wrote:
On Mon, Apr 15, 2024 14:18:59 +0200, Jos Vos wrote:
On Mon, Apr 15, 2024 at 12:15:55PM +0100, Ankur Sinha wrote:

    Hrm, but the problem here is that a user that currently has the task
    package installed (currently v2) will end up with v3 if I update the
    task package to v3---which is something we'd like to avoid here.

Just a side question: is this task v3 update planned to be distributed
*during* an OS lifecycle or only at the start of a new one (e.g. F41,
I assume it is too late for F40 now)?  Are there any Fedora policies
for this kind of incompatible updates?

The general policy is to not introduce backwards incompatible changes to
stable releases:
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fesco/Updates_Policy/#stable-releases

I am thinking that the best way for this would be to announce it as a
self-contained change so it'll land in rawhide (F41). In the meantime, I
can perhaps keep a COPR repository for stable Fedora releases (F39/F40)
for users that do want to use taskv3 already.

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/program_management/changes_policy/#_self_contained_changes

How does that sound?

What you can probably do now is to introduce the compat package *first* into all stable releases -
and make it obsolete the task package at the current NEVRA.

Then for Rawhide, you can update the task package to version 3 - that way current users will get moved
to task2 seamlessly (probably make the update suggest they log out, just in case), and when task v3 is
packaged, they can then export their current database using the existing task2 and import it after
reinstalling task?

Best,

--
_o)  Michel Lind (né Salim)