Re: Updating Taskwarrior to v3

On Mon, Apr 15, 2024 12:50:48 +0200, Jos Vos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Apr 15, 2024 at 11:04:22AM +0100, Ankur Sinha wrote:
>
>    They are not designed to be installed in parallel, so task3 will
>    obsolete task. However, task3 will not provide the task package, so that
>    task will not be updated to task3 during normal upgrades. Users will
>    have to explicitly install task3.
>
> Being a happy taskwarrior user since years:
>
> Note that users do not always update (full) OS releases, but do
> new installs while keeping (a.o.) /home.  So, after installing
> that new OS release, users will face the same issue.  Furthermore,
> if they are used to install "task", they will install the wrong
> version, even if they may want to use the new version.
>
> The fact that v3 does *require* a v2 for exporting is of course a
> bad thing, they should have added a export-v2 option or so.  Will
> the task v3 warn users if they detect old data?

It won't use the old data format at all. After conversion, if one still
has the old data files, it will show warnings:
https://taskwarrior.org/docs/upgrade-3/

> What is the idea?  To temporarily provide both packages, v2 and v3,
> that can not be installed together?
>
> About the naming / versioning part: this probably has happened
> before with other packages, I am not aware of all the policies.
> But I would think that having task2 for backwards compatibility
> would be a better option.  Can't task2 be built in such a way
> that it can be installed alongside task (task v3).

They both provide the same binary, but we could perhaps rename the task
binary from taskv2 to task2. I've not looked at the rest of the package
files yet to be able to say if they'll all require similar mangling to
allow taskv2 and taskv3 to be installed in parallel. Theoretically, it
should be doable.

The issue with updating task to v3 and keeping task2 is that people that
aren't aware of the change will end up with a non-functional task
installation when the task package is upgraded. They'll have to
downgrade to an older version of the package (or install task2), export
their data, and then re-upgrade task to make it all work (and sync with
taskserver won't work even then, of course).

The documentation says "Before installing Taskwarrior 3, export all of
your tasks". I haven't tested out what happens if one runs task3 without
exporting the data---it shouldn't touch the old data files, but I don't
know if it affects the import later.

--
Thanks,
Regards,