Re: convert everything to rpmautospec?

On 08/04/2024 10:28, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
On Mon, Apr 08, 2024 at 09:08:19AM +0200, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
On Sun, Apr 07, 2024 at 04:48:03PM +0100, Tom Hughes via devel wrote:
-1 for existing packages certainly - none of my git commit logs
are written with the expectation that they will double as package
changelogs so doing so may break the changelog.

Yes, I think rpm changelog is for users of the package and git log
is for the maintainers. Most of the time the entries apply to both,
but sometimes they don't.

This was already answered to some extent, but since it seems to a
common misconception, I'll reply here again:

%autochangelog is designed to keep the separation between git log and
%changelog. Generally, only some git log entries end up with a
matching entry in the autogenerated %changelog, see
https://docs.pagure.org/fedora-infra.rpmautospec/autochangelog.html#skipping-changelog-entries.

Yes I read the documentation last night after some of the clarifications
and I'm much less opposed now and considering trying it out next time
there is a new release for one of my packages.

I think things might have gone better if things had been phrased
as reminding people of how it all worked, and that it is in fact now
policy to use it (which had passed me by) rather than coming straight
out with threats to use proven packagers which I suspect got people's
backs up and led to some of the swift negative responses.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom@xxxxxxxxxx)
http://compton.nu/