Re: F41 Change Proposal: Pytest 8 (self-contained)

On Суб, 06 кра 2024, Sandro wrote:
On 05-04-2024 23:45, Aoife Moloney wrote:
== Summary ==

Update to a new upstream release of pytest that is not completely
compatible with previous releases. Pytest 8 is a major upstream
release removing a lot of deprecated functions and introducing
breaking changes.

I was wondering how this will pan out with the introduction of Python 3.13, which is also planned for F41 and comes with its own set of breaking changes. Some of those affecting tests.

The current test builds are run against Python 3.12. Will all Python packages also be tested against Python 3.13 with pytest 8 later on? Does that even make sense?

Anyway, it's two major updates affecting the Python ecosystem, which are both aiming at F41. Maybe letting the dust settle on Python 3.13 first and then updating pytest to the next major release will let package maintainers (and upstream) focus more. Just some food for thought.

On top of that, I wonder how the packages were chosen. FreeIPA is
missing in the test COPR at all (but freeipa-healthcheck is present).
FreeIPA is also missing in the list of affected packages. We do use
pytest and some of more complex pytest plugins (multihost, sourceorder),
also add our own extensions.

I filed an upstream issue to track Pytest 8:
https://pagure.io/freeipa/issue/9571

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy
Sr. Principal Software Engineer