Re: Switching XZ for ZSTD?

On Thursday, 4 April 2024 17:20:25 BST Arnie T via devel wrote:
> Hello Stephen,
>
> > How a decision to drop xz for some other compression library for software
> > would be a fairly slow process. First a person who is willing to do the
> > work would come up with a proposal on why it should be done and how it
> > could be done. They would be expected to also test to see how much
> > trouble this would be (aka find all the packages which use xz and could
> > be changed to another library, which ones couldn't and what the effects
> > would be.) Once that is done, they would make a general proposal to be
> > reviewed by whatever technical committee a distribution has (Fedora has
> > one whose acronym is FESCO, Debian has another or multiple others, etc).
> > This would be reviewed and if accepted it would go as a future release
> > work with a staged plan where some packages are moved in X release, some
> > in X+1, and some final plan for X+2 (or backed out completely for some
> > reason before then). There would be some amount of software which would
> > rely on xz no matter what because either the upstream has no interest in
> > changing or it is meant to use xz period. ...
> > Currently most groups are between 0 and 1. There are a lot of things which
> > need to be looked at before moving off can be looked at as a goal to make
> > sure we aren't making things worse.
> >
> > I hope the above helps
>
> Thanks, I understand more of your explanation of how it's done.
>
> I don't know how much time was needed to decide for example an Arch Distro
> change
>
> "Now using Zstandard instead of xz for package compression"
> https://archlinux.org/news/now-using-zstandard-instead-of-xz-for-package-com
> pression/ OK, that's my mistake. I thought that moving to open source Linux
> OS Distro like Redhat-related Fedora would result big or important issues
> can be fixed more efficiently than at Microsoft.

That is not a distro-wide change; that's changing one thing from `xz` to
`zstd`.

Fedora made the same switch back in Fedora 31, and thus doesn't need to do
anything about package compression right now.

The remaining things are a long tail of various bits and pieces that use `xz`
for a variety of reasons, and where there needs to be a decision made; fwupd,
for example, has switched, while the `xz` tool in the repo will probably never
switch from `xz` to `zstd`.