Re: Three steps we could take to make supply chain attacks a bit harder

On 2024-04-01 23:59, Gordon Messmer wrote:
On 2024-03-30 13:18, Gordon Messmer wrote:
The write up describing the back door indicates that the malicious xz library "changes the value of RSA_public_decrypt@xxxxxxx to point to its own code."  So the back door has pointed one of the symbols that should point to a page mapped to OpenSSL's libcrypto.so.3 to a page mapped to liblzma.so.5, instead.

Would it be possible to audit the value of a process's symbols at runtime to look for this kind of shenanigans?  Could this type of auditing be added to functional tests or rpminspect?

As a proof of concept, I extended GEF a tiny bit: https://github.com/gordonmessmer/gef

I spent a little more time extending GEF further, as a new "got-audit" command.  The command will report an error if two or more libraries appear to export conflicting symbols.  It will also report an error if a symbol in the GOT points to a shared object that doesn't appear to export that symbol.  For all symbols in the GOT, it reports a mapping between the symbol and the path where that symbol is mapped.

I'll work on a functional test for the openssh package.  I think the naive approach is to simply record the known-good output of the audit in a file in the test's directory, run the "got-audit" command, and compare the two files.  Any difference is an error.

I haven't started on that yet, but the "port-forward" test seems fairly small and simple, so I'll try writing something similar, unless anyone has suggestions otherwise.