Re: Reminder: F40 final freeze starts next week (2024-04-02)

On Tue, Apr 2, 2024 at 10:08 AM Sandro <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> We are one week down the road. I've submitted an update a week ago
> shortly after Adam's reply was sent (March 26, 21:48 UTC). Final freeze
> is now in effect and the update[1] has *not* made it to stable. It's
> still in testing.
>
> Luckily, this update can wait until after freeze. I'm glad I decided to
> ask for karma for another update submitted earlier the same day.
>
> [1] https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2024-3ebd1e2c45

I've had this bite me in previous years.  If you submit an update on
Tuesday, then it will be pushed to testing Tuesday night.  One week
later, on Tuesday night again, it will be submitted for stable, and 24
hours later it will actually go stable.  It takes 8 days to get an
update from submission to stable, not 7, so when there are only 7 days
between Beta release and Final Freeze, you're already too late when
the Beta release happens.

I personally wish we would keep the "3 days to stable" rule all the
way up to Final Freeze.  Switching to the 7 day time period right
before that always slows me down just when I'm trying to hurry and fix
things for the final freeze.  Also:
- We don't switch from 3 to 7 days at Beta Release, but rather when
the Beta Release is announced, which is typically 4 to 5 days prior to
the Beta Release.
- We retroactively change the time to stable of all updates that have
already been submitted.  I might have an update that I think will go
stable in 1 more day, and suddenly it isn't going to go stable for 5
more days.

All of that combined means extra delays just when time is short.
--
Jerry James
http://www.jamezone.org/