Re: Three steps we could take to make supply chain attacks a bit harder

On Sun, Mar 31, 2024 at 09:39:43AM -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 31, 2024 at 09:12:30AM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > Thanks Arthur, yes, that was *exactly* the point.
> >
> > I would argue there's a danger of getting too tied up in very specific
> > technical details of this attack. Yes, it's reasonable to think of ways
> > to mitigate those specific mechanisms, at least at the appropriate
> > levels (arguably, most of this is really directly an issue upstream of
> > us). But it has been - for me - persuasively argued that the specific
> > technical details were decided based on the wider goals of the attack.
> >
> > I buy the scenario where the starting point was "how can we poison the
> > major distributions?" and everything from there derived from that
> > starting point. xz was picked as the target because of all the specific
> > technical stuff about systemd and ssh links which people are keen to
> > dive deep into the details of, but *if that vector hadn't existed the
> > attacker would just have chosen the next best one*. The specific form
> > of the attack was then customized to the specific properties of xz,
> > very cunningly - the whole thing about hiding the payload in binary
> > test files. But if the attacker had chosen to attack a different
> > project with different properties, they would have customized their
> > attack to *that* environment with equal cunning, and it would probably
> > look quite different.
>
> I think even stepping further back from the technical details is worth
> considering. I think xz was picked because it had one maintainer who had
> personal issues and low time/desire to continue work, and they were a
> good target to be bullied into adding another maintainer. Are there
> other critical packages we ship in similar situations?

I can imagine the attacker had some sort of scoring system for projects:

 - No upstream patch review process (+10)
 - Complicated codebase (+20)
 - Small group of maintainers (+5)
 - Single, vulnerable maintainer (+50)
 - Linked to sshd (+1000)

There's something to be said for us doing a similar sort of analysis.

> > Worrying *only* about binary blobs in source repos or the specific
> > details of how systemd opens compression libraries feels a bit narrow,
> > to me - and especially so when we do it down at the distribution level
> > where it's not necessarily primarily our responsibility, and I would
> > argue is definitely not the *lowest* hanging fruit if we take a broader
> > view of "what should we as a project be doing to raise the difficulty
> > of supply chain attacks?"
>
> Agreed. I think theres lots of places we should improve, and focusing on
> our own backyard first might be wise. But we can also work on the other
> parts too!
>
> There are lots of things we _could_ do... we should discuss and consider
> what ones make sense in what order. We should just do something because
> we can. ;)
>
> Also, a reminder... nothing is ever 'secure'. security is a process. We
> consider likelt threats, we try and mitigate them, and we keep doing it.
> Things change and we should too.
>
> kevin

Rich.