Re: Three steps we could take to make supply chain attacks a bit harder

On Sun, 2024-03-31 at 13:28 +0100, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:

> > 3. We have no mechanism to flag when J. Random Packager adds
> > "Supplements: glibc" to their random leaf node package. As a reminder,
> > *we are a project that allows 1,601 minimally-vetted people to deliver
> > arbitrary code executed as root on hundreds of thousands of systems*,
> > and this mechanism allows any one of those people to cause the package
> > they have complete control over to be automatically pulled in as a
> > dependency on virtually every single one of those systems.
>
> This is as much a distro design problem, as a Fedora process
> problem. The typical Linux distro model is that everything is
> installed in the same namespace, and we only avoid interference
> (whether accidental or intentional) by careful packaging design
> and review.
>
> This is somewhere where the image based Linux distro model has
> a potential benefit, with a comparatively slim distro base, and
> then applications as self contained separated entities, whether
> server apps in podman containers, or GUI apps in flatpaks.
>
> No easy anwere here though, as the traditional Linux model isn't
> going away any time in the forseeable future.

Well, definitely no easy answers, but I would argue this is the kind of
thing we as a distributor *should* be worrying about and addressing,
maybe with more urgency than things that are not primarily the
responsibility of the distributor, in the supply chain.

Maybe this needs to go on the growing pile of reasons why the
traditional Linux model *does* need to go away. Maybe Fedora, with its
foundation of First, should be kind of at the forefront of making that
happen.
--
Adam Williamson (he/him/his)
Fedora QA