Re: xz backdoor

It appears that libsystemd links to libraries for lzma/xz, bzip2, gzip and also zstd, because some systemd utilities provide them as options in various different contexts (but not consistently, zstd for instance is seemingly supported by some utilities and not by others, and I see some code such as [0] that doesn't account for it)

I'm sure having all of those different options available is nice in some context or another, but how unrealistic would it be to pare that back to a few slightly more opinionated and consistent choices?  Bzip2 for instance isn't particularly good on *any* metric, are there legacy / ecosystem reasons that are sufficiently important for libsystemd to be dragging it around?  libsystemd linking 4 different compression libraries does seem a bit excessive (if it can be helped).

[0] https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob/3799fa803efb04cdd1f1b239c6c64803fe85d13a/src/import/importctl.c#L493