Re: Three steps we could take to make supply chain attacks a bit harder

Am 30.03.24 um 15:44 schrieb Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek:
Meson outclasses CMake in functionality, clarity, and brevity.
I doesn't make sense to consider switching to CMake at this point.

While I do agree on clarity and brevity, I don't on functionality.

Meson doesn't allow you do create your own functions. While one should
try to avoid them in build systems, there are cases where you need them.
I work on a project where they are needed, but it also wouldn't make
sense to upstream it because it's too project specific, and creating a
loop out of every call like Meson's FAQ recommends
(https://mesonbuild.com/FAQ.html#why-doesnt-meson-have-user-defined-functionsmacros)
would create one heck of spagetthi code.

So yeah, there are edge cases where I would recommend CMake over Meson
purely without looking at the rest of the ecosystem.

Another is ofc that a quite big chunk of the C and C++ ecosystem uses
CMake and integration between build systems kinda sucks (but the CMake
developers try to work on making it better by working together with
other projects).

But I don't think this is the right place to talk about which build
system to switch to FOR OTHER PROJECTS.

(But if we are at it, ever looked at Zig as a buildsystem for a C or C++
project? I know some companies which do this at this point.)

Sincerely

Kilian Hanich