Re: F41 Change Proposal: Switch to DNF 5 (System-Wide)

Hi Zbyszek,

Thanks for feedback.

Second, I think that the lack of support for dnf5 in some areas is
going to be painful: in particular, as long as Anaconda and PackageKit
depend on dnf-3, we're going to be in a strange state the basic system
tools use two different versions of the code, and perhaps more
importantly, use two different databases of information about
installed packages.

I'd like to emphasize that the RPM DB, which contains the database of installed packages, remains the singular source in the system. However, the metadata containing the reasons for package installations now reside in a different format and location. Therefore, when concurrently using dnf4 and dnf5 on the system, packages installed by one of them as dependencies will appear as user-installed to the other one, potentially leading to them not being auto-removed later.

Regards,
Jan

On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 7:11 PM Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek <zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 03:46:47PM +0000, Aoife Moloney wrote:
> == Summary ==
> Change the default package manager from dnf to dnf5.
>
> == Owner ==
> * Name: [[User:jkolarik| Jan Kolarik]]
> * Email: jkolarik@xxxxxxxxxx
>
> * Name: [[User:jmracek| Jaroslav Mracek]]
> * Email: jmracek@xxxxxxxxxx

First, thank you for putting together such a detailed proposal.
Having all the dependencies listed allows a proper evaluation of how
things are going to work during the upgrade.

Second, I think that the lack of support for dnf5 in some areas is
going to be painful: in particular, as long as Anaconda and PackageKit
depend on dnf-3, we're going to be in a strange state the basic system
tools use two different versions of the code, and perhaps more
importantly, use two different databases of information about
installed packages.

But, third, I think we should do the switch. Dnf5 is some aspects
significantly better than dnf-3, so users will really benefit from
the switch. And we cannot and should not maintain the situation where
the dnf team is working on two different versions of the code. We
need to switch to the new thing and devote the resources we have
to making it work great.

Zbyszek