Re: Hoping to unorphan package edb

Pekka Oinas via devel wrote:
> The package for edb, a GUI debugger application, has been orphaned in
> Fedora for many years: https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/edb
>
> I like this application and think it's useful, and would like to see it
> unorphaned. I have been building it in COPR at
> https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/peoinas/edb-debugger/ for some
> time and just now updated my packaging configuration there to the newest
> version, 1.5.0, released a few days ago (though I am sure my spec files
> aren't up to mainline standards).
>
> Unless some existing maintainer reading this mailing list becomes inspired
> to adopt this package, I would be interested in pursuing the packager
> sponsoring process in order to adopt or co-maintain this package. I would
> like some input, particularly from maintainers experienced in packaging Qt
> applications, on if this sounds like a good idea.

Given that this has been retired for more than 8 weeks (in fact, for way
longer, more than 3 years), it needs a rereview anyway, see:
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/package-maintainers/Package_Retirement_Process/#claiming

So you can mostly just follow the usual process for getting sponsored:
submit your specfile for review (but mention in the bug comments that it is
a rereview for a retired package) and follow:
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/package-maintainers/New_Package_Process_for_New_Contributors/
until the point where you would request a new dist-git repository to be
created. The repository already exists, so in this case, you want instead to
request unretirement as per:
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/package-maintainers/Package_Retirement_Process/#claiming
– but please only after you got sponsored and the review request got
approved!

I hope this helps,
        Kevin Kofler