Re: F41 Change Proposal: Change Compose Settings (system-wide)

Neal Gompa wrote:
> Regular zstd compression is less optimized due to the lack of
> dictionaries, but it's also effectively the fallback path, though much
> faster to decompress while providing pretty good compression (which is
> why we have been gradually switching *everything* to zstd).

"pretty good" if you only really care about speed. It loses to the much
older xz in almost all compression ratio benchmarks, often significantly
(e.g., xz compresses text (enwik8 testcase) with a factor 4 (*), zstd only
with a factor 2.5 [1]). So I still think zstd is a step backwards compared
to xz.

(*) The factor 4 is with xz -9, but you should always use that because the
decompression is no slower, and in fact actually slightly faster, with it
than with lower compression levels, only the compression is slower, but the
compression happens once on the server.

[1] source: https://quixdb.github.io/squash-benchmark/

        Kevin Kofler