Re: F41 Change Proposal: PHP no 32 bit / PHP 64-bit only (self-contained)

On Tue, Mar 12, 2024, 15:16 Marcin Juszkiewicz <mjuszkiewicz@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
W dniu 8.03.2024 o 21:50, Aoife Moloney pisze:
> == Detailed Description ==
> PHP is not a library, so is not multilib.
> 32-bit consumes builder CPU/time, but nothing is shipped in the repositories.
>
> A lot of projects don't have 32-bit CI, so this may raise FTBFS (10 in
> F40 Mass Rebuild)
>
> Add for all extension packages:
>
> '''ExcludeArch: %{ix86}'''

Recently I was wondering when Fedora will do opposite. Disable 32-bit
x86 builds for all packages and leave it explicitly enabled for those
packages which are used for multilib purposed.

I have thought about this when proposing the Change to make dropping support for i686 easier. What you suggest is probably not as easy as you think - the packages that are required for multilib purposes change over time, and in turn the packages that are necessary to *build* those packages are also not constant. It would be easy to end up in a situation where some packages that are needed on i686 can no longer be built there because they start requiring other packages that were already dropped from i686.

Worst case scenario (if too many things were to be dropped at some point), a re-bootstrapping of i686 might be necessary to get things into a working state again (and I'm pretty sure at that point we might as well just turn it off entirely because it would not be worth the effort).

I'm hoping that we can get there in a different way: The cases where multilib support is actually needed are going away.

- I think koji now supports a setup where "noarch" packages are never built on i686.
- Wine looks like it will support running 32-bit Windows applications without needing any i686 libraries.
- Steam still requires 32-bit libraries to be present I think, but this is increasingly anachronistic and I'm not sure what's holding them back from just making their Linux client 64-bit only. But even this is not as big of a problem as it used to be, since the Steam flatpak works just fine.

Fabio