Re: Feedback wanted - pruning old rawhide chroots in Copr

Am So., 18. Feb. 2024 um 13:54 Uhr schrieb Miroslav Suchý <msuchy@xxxxxxxxxx>:

> In Copr build system, we noticed that Fedora rawhide chroots can became large and they stay forever as rawhide is never
> EOLed.
> We plan to work on this soon, but we are not sure what is best approach. I want to ask you - the users of Copr - what
> will be convenient for you?
>
> The problem is described here https://github.com/fedora-copr/copr/issues/2933
>
> tl;dr version is:
>
>   * when you build into fedora-39 chroot then the chroot is one day declared as EOLed and if you did not act, then the
> chroot from the project is deleted and we reclaim the storage space.
>
>   * when you build into rawhide chroot, then we keep last builds. Even if you do not submit to this project anything for
> years, we still keep this chroot. And such chroots can occupy gigabytes of storage.
>

> The problem is that builds in the rawhide can be packaged configs, and they can be still usable despite the fact that no
> one rebuilds the RPM for years. Or it can be forgotten build that is not even installable in current chroot. We do not
> know. And testing installability of package regularly will be expensive task.
>
> What **you** would find as acceptable policy for pruning rawhide chroots?

I see this somehow connected to the discussion about signing keys that
we had recently. A radical solution would be: branch rawhide, not from
rawhide. So, at the "F40 branch point we had last week", we would:
- switch the "alias" rawhide from "meaning f40" to "meaning f41"
- rename rawhide chroots to f40 in copr
- set up new rawhide chroots ("follow [up] fedora branching")

In most cases, "forked" packages in copr are misleading - they are in
a chroot without having been built against any version of it.

copr users would have to hit "rebuild", which should be OK.

Michael