Re: fedrq - new repoquerying tool

Hi everyone,

On 2/11/23 23:31, Maxwell G via devel wrote:

I've been working on a repoquerying tool called fedrq [1] that I'd like to share with you. Here's the elevator pitch: fedrq provides a friendly interface to query the Fedora repositories. It makes it really easy to query across Fedora and EPEL branches. It uses the dnf Python bindings (libdnf5 backend is almost done) and doesn't shell out to dnf repoquery. Amongst other things, fedrq allows querying for reverse dependencies, packages that contain a certain Provide or file, subpackages of an SRPM, and general package metadata. My favorite features are the easy branch switching, `fedrq subpkgs` (there's no real equivalent in dnf repoquery), and the ability to dump package metadata as JSON. The many threads about how to properly query for dependencies when doing SO name bump rebuilds and my own frustrations with dnf repoquery inspired this tool.

[1] https://sr.ht/~gotmax23/fedrq/
[2] https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/gotmax23/fedrq/
[3] https://gotmax23.srht.site/fedrq/fedrq.1.html#EXAMPLES

I have been actively developing fedrq for over a year now. Since last February, there have been many changes, improvements, and new features introduced[1]. fedrq has new commands including the download, download-spec, changelogs, and make-cache subcommands, new output formatting options, and many built-in release configurations to make it easy to query other RPM-based distributions. I also fleshed out the public API to provide a strong compatibility layer between the dnf and libdnf5 (Package)Query APIs. It's been heartening to see the tool adopted by Fedora developers and receive feedback and questions.

fedrq has been under beta (0.Y.Z releases) up until now, but development is nearing the 1.0.0 release milestone. Before that, I wanted to reach out again to see if anyone had additional feedback, suggestions, questions, or any other commentary. Feel free to respond here or hop over to fedrq's mailing list[2]!

[1] https://fedrq.gtmx.me/News/

[2] https://lists.sr.ht/~gotmax23/fedrq

Best,

Maxwell