google-re2 pacakge update and facebook vs google python bindings ?

Hi,

At $dayjob we are running into issues with re2 and python bindings.

Fedora has a fairly old version of re2 with so.9 while upstream is at
so.11. Is there a reason for this? If it is just time, I'd like to
help bumping the package in rawhide.

Originally, facebook creating python bindings for this, which are
packaged in python-fb-re2, but this package is no longer updated
as google're2 now has native python bindings (I think the fb one
was pulled in and maintained and so the fb one is abandoned upsteam)

I'd like to see:

- google-re2 updated to version 2024-02-04
- python3-google-re2 python bindings shipped, providing the fb-re2 package.
- python2-fb-re2 retired

Currently, the google-re2 python bindings do not compile against
the older google-re2 we ship (but that might be a fairly trivial
fix, that would need to be done for the branches anyway)

Added package maintainers to the CC: for additional input.

Again, happy to help if time/effort is the only thing holding
this back. If there are other reasons for this, I'd very much
like to know more. I know there were soname issues in the past.

Packages that would be affected by the soname bump:

loaty
dnsdist
frr
grpc