Re: just to let you know FESCo agreed to a preliminary injunction while we consider this issue

Jonathan Bennett via devel wrote:
> Hey folks, outside observer, and long-time Fedora user weighing in with
> some thoughts. First off, I've been hyped to see Fedora lead the way
> with finally making a real move to Wayland, and retire X11. And now I'm
> fairly disappointed to hear that there's a real chance that move will
> get killed. And especially that it's not because of a technical problem
> or blocker bug.

Well, "killed" is a really strong word for what amounts to resurrecting 2
packages to give users a choice.

I am actually trying to prevent Plasma X11 support from being "killed".

> It really seems like KDE-x11 would do better to live in a copr, with
> whatever packages needs rebuilt to make it work. Probably a better
> experience for everyone.

I do not see how it is a better experience to have to enable an additional
repository, for which dnf will warn the user that it is "unsupported" (even
if it does not have that in the name as the kde6-x11-unsupported Copr does)
than to have those packages available in the standard Fedora repository.

> The proposal was to go to KDE 6 and drop X11 support. " KDE Plasma will
> not offer an X11 session" That change was approved by FESCo. And from my
> perspective running Fedora  Rawhide and KDE 6, it looks great. We even
> have HDR working! That's amazing! So let's go all in.

Glad to hear that Plasma on Wayland is working so great for you. Nobody is
taking that away from you. Wayland will still be the default (as it has been
for a few releases already), and the X11 packages will not even be installed
by default (in fact, they will be uninstalled by default when upgrading to
Fedora 40! My packages do not change that). So you get to enjoy your
"amazing" HDR etc. with no changes whatsoever. Nobody is taking that away
from you.

All I am asking, and willing to make happen, is to not take Plasma X11 away
from us.

        Kevin Kofler