Re: just to let you know FESCo agreed to a preliminary injunction while we consider this issue

Steve Cossette wrote:
> It would also introduce a precedent: What if later a proposal is made to
> remove some old drivers from, let's say, the kernel, and someone decides
> to package it, undermining the general efforts of that proposal?

The kernel is actually a special case in that there is a specific rule
banning kernel modules and custom kernels from Fedora. That is a rule
specifically for the kernel and does not apply to any other package (e.g.,
browser extensions, LibreOffice plugins, Plasma widgets (plasmoids), etc.
can all be separately packaged).

There have been plugin-based applications where some plugins were dropped
from the upstream tarball and/or the Fedora packaging, and subsequently
submitted as separate packages in Fedora. As I understand it, this has never
been vetoed (for anything other than kernel modules).

The special case for the kernel is something that I am also unhappy with,
but that is a separate discussion. But I would be really unhappy if this
became the standard also for userspace.

> Hopefully I'm making sense. Writing this 30mins after waking up might not
> have helped. What I'm trying to say basically is, I get that for some
> legacy nvidia users the Wayland experience may not be optimal. But will it
> *ever* be? Does that mean we can never drop x11? Will anyone ever update
> those legacy nvidia drivers? *Could they be?*

Actually, I could not care less about the experience with proprietary NVidia
drivers. I do not use or intend to use them. That is not the reason I use
X11. Of course, NVidia users are free to use my packages just like everybody
else, but as always, I cannot fix bugs in the proprietary driver code, so
please do not expect me to do miracles there. If X11 works better for NVidia
users than Wayland, great, but if not, I am afraid there is probably not
much I can do about that.

        Kevin Kofler