Re: Re: Re: A reminder: you cannot just "revert" package version bumps

On Thu, Feb 01, 2024 at 02:51:54AM +0100, Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
> kevin wrote:
> > distro-sync is nice and all, but it's not a silver bullet.
> > In cases of simple packages a downgrade may not break anything, but in
> > cases where other things already built upon it, where the new one
> > changed conguration or interface, or even where the upgrade changed
> > data, it can leave things in a pretty unfortunate state.
>
> And the proposed "solution" of bumping Epoch fixes none of that. It just
> introduces an Epoch that we will be stuck with forever. It will not
> magically make the downgrade safe in any of the 3 situations you describe.

I am unsure when I proposed Epoch's. I'm not a great fan of them either.
In addition to what you mentioned, Epochs have another problem:
Depending on how dependent packages (build)require your package, they
must be adjusted for the new Epoch too.

Anyhow, to be more clear:

I don't think we can or should say "just downgrade whenever you like",
unless/until dnf5 gets rid of update and only has distro-sync.
Nor do I think we should rush to using Epochs. In rare cases we should
alternatives should all be exhausted first (patch the problem and push a
newer update, push a revert of the problematic part, engage with
upstream for a solution, etc).

kevin