Re: Orphaning python-flit

On Thu, Jan 25, 2024 at 6:43 PM Maxwell G <maxwell@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu Jan 25, 2024 at 20:34 +0100, Miro Hrončok wrote:
> > Hello.
>
> Hi Miro,
>
> Thanks for the announcement!
>
> > Now when python-flit-core has been split out of python-flit, I do no longer
> > have a use-case for python-flit and hence I have orphaned it.
>
> For context, flit-core is the PEP 517 build backend that we need for use
> with %pyproject_* in RPM builds. python3-flit provides the flit CLI that
> can be used for basic Python project management (publishing to PyPI and
> such). python3-flit and python3-flit-core used to be built from the same
> SRPM, but we recently split it into two separate packages to simply the
> specfile and help with RHEL builds.

What is the *fascination* with splitting and renaming packages this
way? Ansible did this, and confused the heck out of their users by
shoving a hundred add-ons into "ansible" and leaving the actually
useful tools in "ansible-core". Why isn't the core packages left in
the original name for the package, and add-ons published as the
distinct package, rather than this apparently popular and breaking
change reverse procedure?

I've recently tried RHEL builds for these flit tools, and they
interweave badly with a circular build dependency involving  of flit,
flit-core, flit-scm. setuptools-scm and exceptiongroups. The dodging
and weaving names of the base packages for their dependencies compound
the difficulties resolving these, at least resolving them from scratch
for RHEL backports.

> While Python developers can always install the flit CLI with pipx or in
> a virtual environment, it is nice to have a global version managed by
> the system package manager.

Agreed, especially considering the recent "bitcoin miner" burdened
modules published at pypi.org. It's very hard to maintain confidence
in a tool suite when any author of a module, upstream, may insert
quite baroque dependency chains.