Re: Mass change of LicenseRef-KDE-Accepted-* licenses

On Tue, Jan 23, 2024 at 4:52 AM Miroslav Suchý <msuchy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Lots of packages in Fedora use license LicenseRef-KDE-Accepted-GPL and LicenseRef-KDE-Accepted-LGPL. These licenses were never approved. It took lots of time to discuss it and document it. We finally come with:
>
> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/legal/update-existing-packages/#_licenseref_kde_accepted
>
> (copy for your convience)
>
> > KDE project uses LicenseRef-KDE-Accepted-* licenses. This was discussed here and here. The consensus is that upstream license LicenseRef-KDE-Accepted-GPL should be replaced in Fedora by GPL-2.0-only OR GPL-3.0-only. And upstream license LicenseRef-KDE-Accepted-LGPL should be replaced by LGPL-2.1-only OR LGPL-3.0-only.

Thinking about this some more, it's a little confusing and a specific
case of how we have been somewhat mixing up two issues, (1) approval
of licenses for Fedora, and (2) policy on what should go in the
License tag. I've been trying to revise the legal docs to clear some
of this up.

The KDE formulation is basically an alternative to the traditional "or
any later version" approach to *GPL licensing. Basically, instead of
allowing blanket use of future versions authored by the FSF, KDE is
saying you can use future versions authored by the FSF and authorized
by KDE. I'll call this the KDE "proxy" permission because the term
"proxy" is used with this scenario in mind in *GPLv3.

"LicenseRef-" is an SPDX construct that allows creation of custom
license identifiers (i.e., license identifiers not on the SPDX license
list). SPDX has to date chosen not to adopt any sort of namespacing
system for LicenseRef-s despite some proposals. So the KDE LicenseRefs
are not Fedora LicenseRefs. That's one complication here, resulting
from multiple differing uses of SPDX license expressions by two
projects. Another issue was that I found that KDE has not had a stable
definition of at least one of these LicenseRefs, so we can't just
easily adopt the KDE LicenseRef as a Fedora LicenseRef pointing to
wherever KDE defines what it means since we can't be sure that KDE
might not revise it again.

There's no reason why the KDE formulation should be *disapproved* --
in that sense, maybe we should add some representation of it to Fedora
License Data somehow. But the existing Fedora approach (to the extent
there was any guidance on this), from the Callaway System Era (i.e.
prior to the adoption of SPDX license expressions), was not to
represent the KDE proxy permission in License tags. So the thought was
not to depart from the Callaway tradition. Logically, there's no basis
for disapproving the KDE proxy permission since it's a subset of a
permission that Fedora already approves (the general *GPL "or later"
permission).

So: don't use the KDE proxy permission in License tags. But we might
have to revise the docs and Fedora License Data in some way.

Richard