Re: Proposal: Eliminate buildroot overrides

Dne 23. 01. 24 v 8:58 Mattia Verga via devel napsal(a):
Il 22/01/24 19:07, Stephen Gallagher ha scritto:
tl;dr: Buildroot overrides should be restricted to releng members and
packagers should use on-demand side-tags instead.

I'm fully in agreement with such proposal. Do note however that there's
currently no way to restrict BRO usage in Bodhi, that's something that
will need development.

I'd also like to propose to consider using side-tags together with
temporary forks of Rawhide/release branches.

Originally, I was going to argue with this Stephen's statement:

Dne 22. 01. 24 v 19:07 Stephen Gallagher napsal(a):
> 3) Side tags make it much easier to submit multiple, related package
> updates together.
> Prior to side-tag support, including multiple packages in a single
> Bodhi update was a highly manual effort. Now, as long as they were
> built together in the side tag, they can be easily submitted together
> as a single update.

But yeah, the temporary branching (not forks necessarily) would certainly help to address this. Maybe it would even help with Miro's concerns about CI.

Vít