libguestfs build failure (on riscv64, but seems general)

David,

Thanks for notifying me about this build failure that happened while I
was on holiday last week:

  http://fedora.riscv.rocks/koji/getfile?taskID=1594179&volume=DEFAULT&name=root.log
  http://fedora.riscv.rocks/koji/getfile?taskID=1594179&volume=DEFAULT&name=build.log

I copied the relevant part from root.log & build.log at the end of the
email in case those links go away.

What's happening here is we're running this code to determine if this
is a local build with the network available or a Koji build:

  https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/libguestfs/blob/rawhide/f/libguestfs.spec#_723

  if ping -c 3 -w 20 8.8.8.8 && wget http://libguestfs.org -O /dev/null; then
    extra=                    # network is available
  else
    # assume no network, ie. Koji case

As you can see from build.log we take the first branch, when we should
be taking the second (no network / Koji) branch.

The problem is that ping fails but wget succeeds, even though as you
can see from the log it should be failing.  This puzzled me for a
while since it doesn't happen when I tested with 'wget' locally.

However the problem here is we're using 'wget2' which seems to have
broken exit codes.  eg:

  $ wget --version
  GNU Wget2 2.1.0 - multithreaded metalink/file/website downloader

  $ wget http://nosuchdomainreallynodomain.abc -O /dev/null
  Failed to resolve 'nosuchdomainreallynodomain.abc' (Name or service not known)
  Failed to resolve 'nosuchdomainreallynodomain.abc' (Name or service not known)
  [...]

  $ echo $?
  0

I think this test will fail to work properly anywhere that we are
using wget2.  Apparently regular Koji is using wget2 but ping fails
there, so Koji acts slightly differently from fedora.riscv.rocks (but
this is still a bug in wget2).

I filed this bug upstream:

  https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/-/issues/652

I'll also look to see if I can adjust the test, maybe use curl instead.

Rich.

--- Snippets from root.log & build.log below ---

DEBUG util.py:446:   wget2                                        riscv64  2.1.0-5.fc40                                          build  249 k
DEBUG util.py:446:   wget2-libs                                   riscv64  2.1.0-5.fc40                                          build  223 k

+ ping -c 3 -w 20 8.8.8.8
--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2016ms
+ wget http://libguestfs.org -O /dev/null
Failed to resolve 'libguestfs.org' (Temporary failure in name resolution)
[...]
Failed to connect: General error
Failed to connect: General error
Failed to connect: General error
Failed to connect: General error
Failed to connect: General error
Failed to connect: General error
Failed to connect: General error
Failed to connect: General error
Failed to connect: General error
Failed to connect: General error
Failed to connect: General error
Failed to connect: General error
Failed to connect: General error
Failed to connect: General error
Failed to connect: General error
Failed to connect: General error
Failed to connect: General error
Failed to connect: General error
Failed to connect: General error
Failed to connect: General error
Failed to resolve 'libguestfs.org' (Temporary failure in name resolution)
+ extra=

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MinGW