Re: F40 Change Proposal: Run Anaconda dir/image installations only in non-interactive text mode (Self-Contained

On Thu, Jan 11, 2024 at 5:16 AM Aoife Moloney <amoloney@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Wiki -> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Anaconda_dir_and_image_installations_in_automated_text_mode
>
> == Summary ==
>
> Anaconda will require a fully defined kickstart file for installations
> into an image or a directory and these installations will run only in
> a non-interactive text-based user interface.
>

> == Owner ==
>
> * Name: [[User:vponcova| Vendula Poncova]]
> * Email: <vponcova@xxxxxxxxxx>
> * Package: anaconda
>
> * Name: [[User:bcl| Brian C. Lane]]
> * Email: <bcl@xxxxxxxxxx>
> * Package: lorax (livemedia-creator)
>

> == Detailed Description ==
>
> The Anaconda installer supports installations into a local image (via
> the <code>--image</code> cmdline option) or a local directory (via the
> <code>--dirinstall</code> cmdline option, the directory is usually a
> mount point of a custom image). These types of installations are
> supported by two user interfaces (text-based and GTK-based) in fully
> interactive, partially interactive and non-interactive modes. We
> believe that there is no strong reason for all these options, so we
> would like to minimize the scope of this functionality and support
> only the text-based non-interactive mode (specifically the
> command-line mode). It means that Anaconda will require a fully
> defined kickstart file and run only in the text-based user interface
> (during dir and image installations).
>
> == Feedback ==
>

> == Benefit to Fedora ==
>
> This is a preliminary step for an eventual deprecation and removal of
> the Anaconda support for dir and image installations. This
> functionality is being slowly taken over by [https://www.osbuild.org/
> Image Builder] that is explicitly designed for building images and
> provides a much broader and better support for all kinds of images.
> Limiting the scope of dir and image installations in Anaconda will
> allow its developers to focus their resources on more prospective
> areas.
>
> == Scope ==
> * Proposal owners: Will submit a pull request for
> <code>[https://anaconda-installer.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
> anaconda]</code> to run dir and image installations only in the
> non-interactive text mode and update
> <code>[https://weldr.io/lorax/livemedia-creator.html
> livemedia-creator]</code> to reflect these changes if necessary.
>
> * Other developers: No impact.
>
> * Release engineering: No impact. There should be zero impact on
> building official Fedora images since these processes are fully
> automated and use fully defined kickstart files.
> [https://pagure.io/releng/issues #Releng issue number]
>
> * Policies and guidelines: N/A (not needed for this Change)
>
> * Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
>
> * Alignment with Community Initiatives:
>

> == Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
>

> == How To Test ==
>

> == User Experience ==
> [...]

Please do not drop this functionality. This is something I use for
three purposes:

* Interactive installations for debugging Anaconda weirdness
* Anaconda development and testing
* Interactive installations for custom multi-boot setups

I know that it's not a very well-known feature, but I find it really
handy and I would really rather not see it go away.