Re: Referencing an upstream subdir in the sources

Am Mi., 10. Jan. 2024 um 11:39 Uhr schrieb Iñaki Ucar <iucar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi,
>
> A package has its source code embedded as a subdirectory of a larger
> piece of software. Sometimes they publish this subdirectory as a
> separate tar as a release artifact, but sometimes they forget.
>
> To avoid depending on their memory (and opening an issue each time), I
> would like to simply download the full repo and produce the tar
> myself. How should I deal with this in the spec? (Note: building this
> subdir as a subpackage in the main one is not a good idea in this
> case, it's not an option).

Hi,

I assume you don't want to distribute the full tar and simply cd into
it the proper subdir during the build? That would be the easiest
solution.

Alternatively, we (used to?) have several packages which need to clean
upstream sources before even committing them to the lookaside cache.
scribus comes to my mind, some crypto things were like that in the
past. What you typically do is:
- Write a simple script which mangles the upstream package.tar and
repackages it as package-free.tar or such.
- Add the script to dist-git.
- comment out the original source line in spec (and the signature if present)
- specify "source: package-free.tar" instead and comment on the use of
the script
- commit only package-free.tar to dist-git

That way, everyone can reproduce the used source code from the
upstream source code if needed while we only have the actual used
source in dist-git (lookaside).

Michael