Re: giflib for fc5

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

The history of libungif and giflib is that GNOME 1 (via imlib) began to
use giflib for its GIF support.  Red Hat and other distributions
realized this would cause problems due to the Unisys LZW patent.  I
found a posting that showed how to create uncompressed gifs that
wouldn't invoke the patent (Unisys patented the encoder and combined
decoder+encoder... Not a standalone decoder) and created libungif as a
drop in replacement for giflib to circumvent the patent issues.

As time went on, bugfixes and a desire for new features led to a need
for API/ABI changes.  I sent fixes and enhancements to Eric Raymond to
coordinate a release so we could continue to have compatible libraries.
He wasn't interested in maintaining giflib any more so I took over
maintenence of that.  The sourceforge page reflects that libungif is a
superset of esr's giflib but not the present sourceforge hosted giflib.

I'll go carify the web page now.

-Toshio

Thanks, OK great. It would be helpful if you could provide a proposed .src.rpm replacement for download and peer review to this list in a way similar to an Extras package review request. That way folks here can test it and suggest other improvements while we follow the process for replacement in Fedora Core.

I suppose we want both Obsoletes and Provides of the N-V-R of libungif and also matching -devel?

Warren Togami
wtogami@xxxxxxxxxx