Re: F40 Change Proposal: F40 Change Proposal: Unify /usr/bin and /usr/sbin (System-Wide)

Aoife Moloney wrote:
> == Summary ==
> The `/usr/sbin` directory becomes a symlink to `bin`, which means
> paths like `/usr/bin/foo` and `/usr/sbin/foo` point to the same place.
> `/bin` and `/sbin` are already symlinks to `/usr/bin` and `/usr/sbin`,
> so effectively `/bin/foo` and `/sbin/foo` also point to the same
> place. `/usr/sbin` will be removed from the default `$PATH`.

I am against this because it breaks my kannolo-root-unlocker package:
https://svn.calcforge.org/viewvc/kannolo/trunk/packages/kannolo-root-unlocker/kannolo-root-unlocker.spec?revision=270&view=markup

I do not want to patch/overwrite the binaries in /usr/bin (because it will
make the RPM verify fail, and also historically because it breaks deltarpms,
though AIUI we do not support those anymore anyway), so I put the ones
patched to accept running as root into /usr/sbin, which is conveniently
before /usr/bin in root's PATH. This change breaks that.

If this is implemented, I will have to change the kannolo-root-unlocker to
patch the binaries in place. But people who have the old version of kannolo-
root-unlocker installed may end up with corrupt binaries, because the
scriptlets of course do not expect %{_bindir} and %{_sbindir} to be the same
or symlinks to the same. (They are different macros for a reason.)

(I wish I would not have to patch binaries at all, but the KDE SIG refuses
to carry patches removing those broken checks from the KDE programs.)

        Kevin Kofler