Re: F40 Change Proposal: Wifi MAC Randomization (System Wide)

On 12/23/23 16:40, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
Christopher Klooz writes:

Btw, does anyone know if this (in the practically-same manner) is really already introduced in Windows, Mac, Android by default? Globally? This

Most recent Android phones, and iPhones do this by default.

What they do is pin each randomized MAC address per AP. They're not randomizing MACs for each connect, but basically generate a randomized MAC for each AP known to the phoneto spam, report it: https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure/new_issue

I hope that's per SSID and not per AP, or else that would mean that as a device roams among access points in my network it would keep generating new MAC addresses that are not known to my DHCP server?

It's bad enough that I can't know in advance what MAC address a new device will be using, and might thus have to decide which, of several possible DHCP requests that might appear, is the one to which I want to grant access.

                Do NOT delete it.