Re: F40 Change Proposal: Unified Kernel Support Phase Two (System-Wide)

Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> I'm talking about removing shim from the boot flow.
>
> That is not a goal of this change proposal, and it's not up for debate
> for phase #2.  Maybe an option in a later phase, once we have a signed
> systemd-boot (see below).

Also, we have one more Fedora-specific problem: we can't create a new SB
cert for signing UKIs so we're currently using the same cert as the
traditional kernel. This works if you enroll the cert in DB but then
these kernels are indistinguishable if you only look at PCR7, this
complicates creating PCR policies a lot. The problem why we can't have a
new SB certificate is not technical but organizational: currently,
private parts of the certs are on physical cards which a few people have
an issuing a new one is a real pain. Rumor has it this is going to
change and I'd really like to have it included in 'phase #3'.

In phase #2, we can probably add an option to 'uki-direct' to add UKIs
without shim to BootXXXX, this certainly won't be the default and will
require Fedora cert to be enrolled into DB/MOK but for specific
use-cases (e.g. AWS with provisioned varstore) this can be used.

--
Vitaly