Re: goal: booting with an empty /etc

On Mon, Dec 11, 2023 at 12:53:00PM -0500, Stephen Smoogen wrote:
> > > We could just have an /etc tree like we see now but in /usr/share/etc
> > > (or /usr/etc, but then I get IRIX nightmares) and your local overrides
> > > exist in /etc.  Things like fstab will probably just have to always be
> > > host-dependent so they will always exist in /etc.

There isn't much real difference between /usr/share and /usr/lib.
Officially /usr/share is for stuff that is "shared between architectures",
but the approach of mounting in /usr/share and actually _sharing_ it
between different systems separately from /usr has mostly gone away.
Realistically, any location under /usr is going to share the same storage,
become available at the same point during boot (very very early),
and be ro/rw in the same way.

So I guess individual projects will pick a specific location in a way
that makes the the most sense to them.

https://uapi-group.org/specifications/specs/configuration_files_specification/
says:
 "The precise location under /usr/ is left open for the implementation
  to decide - it could be hard-coded to /usr/lib/ or it could be left to
  each application to pick from various options, such as /usr/share/ or
  /usr/etc/."

> > We're currently not allowed to use /usr/etc (not that I like that path
> > anyway) because it breaks RPM-OSTree. My understanding is that this
> > directory is reserved by RPM-OSTree for storing pristine copies of
> > /etc content for each OSTree commit.

Ah, that's a bummer. I think some projects are using /usr/etc, so
this is going to become a problem.

> My other problem with using /usr/etc is if we decide in N years that we
> want to get rid of /usr altogether (reverse usrmerge so /usr/sbin -> /sbin,
> /usr/bin -> /bin etc) and put everything at top-level.. we have to then
> figure out where we would put all this content anyway.

No, this is not going to happen. With /usr, the whole OS is a single
mount point. So for example, it's easy to have a system where the OS
is delivered as a dm-verity-protected signed read-only partition, and
the root is a writable-fs-over-luks, created on the fly when the
machine is first booted. With "reverse usrmerge", we get a bunch of
directories which need to be handled separately, making things harder
and less clean. It also doesn't bring any benefit, so I don't see why
we'd want to go through the pain of a move.

> At some point I think we are also looking at large enough changes that we
> need to 'update FHS' and similar guidelines mainly so that third party
> standards and tools can know where things 'should' go.

FHS is alive as
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/latest/file-hierarchy.html
(and the XDG standards for files under $HOME).
I think that the recommendations there describe the consensus in the
Linux ecosystem.

Zbyszek