Re: goal: booting with an empty /etc

On Fr, 08.12.23 17:23, Florian Weimer (fweimer@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> * Stephen Gallagher:
>
> > That being said, there are files like /etc/nsswitch.conf, /etc/pam.d/*
> > and /etc/fstab which are both API *and* sometimes see manual updates.
> > These are some of the cases that are going to make getting to an empty
> > /etc very hard to finish off. There's a lot of low-hanging fruit we
> > can take care of in the meantime, but getting the last 1% of packages
> > done is going to take a lot of inter-distro conversations.
>
> We could add some sort of :include: processing to glibc, but that's
> going to impact much more than just glibc in the end (Go has its own
> parser for /etc/passwd, I believe others have their own for
> /etc/nsswitch.conf).

I'd always suggest going for .d/ style drop-in dirs
(i.e. /etc/services.d/*.conf, /usr/share/services.d/*.conf,
/etc/protocols.d/*.conf, /usr/share/protocols.d/*.conf and similar)
rather than include logic, for the simple reason that ensuring
includes don't result in potentially endless recursion is a bit
nasty. Moreover, it's kinda nice if the conceptual logic that allows
users to split things up doesn't leak into the contents of the files,
but remains in the structure of the file system.

That said, if you give me an "include" style logic in glibc's database
handling I'd also be happy. Beggars can't be choosers, after all.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin