Re: goal: booting with an empty /etc

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek <zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> There is a long-term goal of moving packaged files out of /etc,

I will note that I'm opposed to this goal as a goal per-se.

If you want an empty directory, "mkdir /etc2" should work for you.

I fear this will end like the /tmp fiasco where one /tmp became many tmp
directories, and no consistent rule about which one to use.

> so that only actual local configuration remains in /etc.

This can be achieved without "empty /etc" as a goal.  For example, why
can't we use podman's overlay filesystem to mount /usr/etc under /etc so
that all the configuration appears in /etc but installed vs changed
files are kept segregatable?

> For example, /etc/services is a list of port:service mappings, and people
> maybe used to edit that twenty years ago,

I still edit this one.

> The same is also true for /etc/bash_completion.d/

I delete this package completely, so I don't care where its config goes.

> Another common case is "empty" configuration files, i.e. templates
> that show the default configuration.

I find these VERY helpful when trying to fix configuration issues on my
machines.

> Other distributions are ahead of us in supporting empty /etc.

"Be like everyone else" is not one of our goals.

> If you are a maintainer of a package with files in /etc, please consider
> whether they are strictly necessary, and if possible, move stuff to /usr.

Unless such file could be changed by a user, in which case it belongs in
/etc.

> At some point, I think we should make this an explicit goal in Fedora.

Please don't.