Re: F40 Change Proposal: Unified Kernel Support Phase Two (System-Wide)

On Tue, Dec 5, 2023 at 3:47 PM Aoife Moloney <amoloney@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This document represents a proposed Change. As part of the Changes
> process, proposals are publicly announced in order to receive
> community feedback. This proposal will only be implemented if approved
> by the Fedora Engineering Steering Committee.
>
> == Summary ==
> Improve support for unified kernels in Fedora.
>
> == Owner ==
> * Name: [[User:kraxel| Gerd Hoffmann]]
> * Email: kraxel@xxxxxxxxxx
>
> * Name: [[User:vittyvk| Vitaly Kuznetsov]]
> * Email: vkuznets@xxxxxxxxxx
>

> == Detailed Description ==
> See [[ Changes/Unified_Kernel_Support_Phase_1 ]] for overview and Phase 1 goals.
>
> ==== Phase 2 goals ====
>
> * Add support for booting UKIs directly.
> ** Boot path is shim.efi -> UKI, without any boot loader (grub,
> sd-boot) involved.
> ** The UEFI boot configuration will get an entry for each kernel installed.
> ** Newly installed kernels are configured to be booted once (via BootNext).
> ** Successful boot of the system will make the kernel update permanent
> (update BootOrder).
> * Enable UKIs for aarch64.
> ** Should be just flipping the switch, dependencies such as kernel
> zboot support are merged.
> * Add a UEFI-only cloud image variant which uses UKIs.
> ** Also suitable for being used in confidential VMs.
> ** Cover both x86_64 and aarch64.

What is the point of using shim in this path? We're not having UKIs
signed by Microsoft, and unless the Linux kernel knows how to call
shim for certificates, I don't see how this is supposed to be useful
for the Microsoft->Fedora->OS boot chain.