Re: Update on the Modern C initiative

Florian Weimer wrote:
> The final patches for GCC 14 are currently under upstream review and
> should land very soon.  Earlier, I had received feedback that the larger
> community desires just one transition, so we end up with the following
> warnings which turn into errors by default:
>
>   -Wimplicit-function-declaration
>   -Wimplicit-int
>   -Wint-conversion
>   -Wreturn-mismatch (new, previously part of -Wreturn-types)
>   -Wdeclaration-missing-parameter-type (new, previously unnamed)
>   -Wincompatible-pointer-types
>
> Only the first two were covered in the initial Fedora conversion work.

As much as I understand the point of -Werror=implicit-function-declaration
(since implicit function declarations can cause several subtle bugs), and
implicit int is obscure enough for its removal to not be a big problem (even
though its potential for causing bugs is much lower), as much I have to
wonder about the others. Especially the incompatible pointer types sound
more like nitpicking than actual bugs (though I guess strict aliasing can
cause issues with those, but then I would expect to see -Wstrict-aliasing
warnings).

        Kevin Kofler