Re: Ancient compilation flags in my pkg - still needed ?

On Thursday, November 30, 2023 5:47:57 AM EST Michal Schorm wrote:
> I have this line in the SPECfile of 'mariadb' package:
>
> CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE"
>
> I read through these macros explanations:
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Feature-Test-Macros.htm
>
> l however as I do not navigate well in the problematic, I haven't
> understood much.
> My question is primarily, whether during the last 20 years something
> happened, making the line obsolete (e.g. these macros are no longer
> relevant, or they were added to the default build flags, ... )

You might want to check if  _GNU_SOURCE has been moved into the right
Makefile.am files. Way back when, it may not have occurred to the developers to
only use them for the compilation units that need them. If not, then keep it.

As for the others, they are to support gigantic files. It might have occurred
to the developers to formalize this by adding an option in configure.ac. If
they didn't, you may still need these to not regress when gigantic file
support is needed.

I'd say, upstream should put all of these in the right places so that you do
not pass them this way.

-Steve