Re: libxml2 2.12.0 (and 2.12.1) in rawhide, with some API breaks

Frederic Berat wrote on 2023/11/27 22:23:
On Fri, Nov 24, 2023 at 12:07 PM David King<amigadave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

The latest released versions of libxml2 have a couple of important
changes in header files that have unintentionally caused some packages
to fail to build without modification, including:

* several functions now accept or return a const xmlError struct
* cyclic dependencies in header files were fixed (by dropping some
    includes)

Most failures that have been witnessed so far by davidlt while
rebuilding RISCV packages, and have been related to the xmlError const
change, but xmlsec1 was hit by the include changes:

https://github.com/lsh123/xmlsec/pull/729
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/xmlsec1/pull-request/4

As libxml2 is used rather widely, I expect more changes to come up over
time, so please feel free to ask me for help (amigadave on IRC, or Cc
<amigadave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  on bugs) and I will be happy to submit patches
upstream and do builds; I am a provenpackager, so happy to help.

Thanks to davidlt for spotting the breakages!

Hello,

I made a mass rebuild of the packages that directly depend on libxml2, and
found 115 packages (out of 621) with build failure correlated to the
libxml2 update.
Out of these 115 packages, 102 so far are highly related (i.e. they show
xml related errors in the build logs).

Few notes:
- Since the new version of libxml2 is already in rawhide I made the mass
rebuild on F39 with it instead of a rawhide build. That implies that some
of the packages may already have been fixed but that still gives a rough
idea on potential problems. I threfore started a mass-rebuild on rawhide to
cross-check, but I don't have a report to give yet.
- Out of the 13 packages that seem correlated but don't show obvious errors
directly related to libxml2, there are still some quite suspicious ones,
like cinnamon which fails due to a missing xml file.

When you plan to do such an update, I can only recommend you to do a mass
prebuild [1][2].

Full report can be found attached. I also added a log file listing the
obvious failures.

I hope that helps a bit.

Fred.

[1]https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/fberat/mass-prebuild/
[2]https://gitlab.com/fedora/packager-tools/mass-prebuild

     lxappearance-obconf:
         Source: (distgit) fedora
         NVR: lxappearance-obconf-0.2.3^20230918git63c5dc1b-1.fc39
         Commit/branch: 7219a560762102a88b77331424ef536d7183581a

     rubygem-nokogiri:
         Source: (distgit) fedora
         NVR: rubygem-nokogiri-1.15.4-1.fc39
         Commit/branch: 8820fad4b3e368c60c5cd255ce92b244133446ba

     yaz:
         Source: (distgit) fedora
         NVR: yaz-5.34.0-4.fc39
         Commit/branch: cff7180eae835591dc5d64930e75082a593243a1

I've fixed these 3 packages. (koschei was complaining.)

Note that we are planning to do mass rebuild for upcoming ruby3.3:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Ruby_3.3 ,

but some packages which need rebuilding for ruby3.3 are listed in
this "fails to build with libxml2 2.12.0" list (i.e. rebuild of some
packages will fail due to the reason unrelated to ruby).
So when we do mass rebuild for ruby3.3 on side-tag and that side-tag
gets merged, some dependency breakage is perhaps going to happen.

I appreciated it if libxml2 2.12.0 related build failure will be addressed
by the corresponding maintainers.

Regards,
Mamoru