Re: Is it possible (or a good idea) to add additional files to the -debuginfo packages?

Hi,

"Richard W.M. Jones" <rjones@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Can you be a bit more specific?  What programming language?  What does
> the debug data look like?  Is it embedded in ELF sections?  What tools
> are needed / provided to extract it?  How does the debugger read it?

This is for the .NET ecosystem, where the primary languages include C#,
F# and VB.NET.

The compiled .NET code files are generally named along the lines of
Foo.dll, and debug data is stored in separate Foo.pdb files. The files
are generated by the .NET compilers directly. The Foo.dll file generally
contains a reference to where the .pdb files are stored (they could be
online, for example, - similar to a debuginfod server - or on the disk
next to the .dll file).

I am not aware of any non-.NET tools in Fedora that can work with these
files.

.NET-specific debuggers know how to find the .pdb files when they see a
.dll file. Generally, every IDE provides their own debugger (often
closed source). An open source debugger is available at
https://github.com/Samsung/netcoredbg/ and used by some
(non-Fedora-packaged) open source IDEs.

To circle back to my original question, the disk layout currently looks
something like this:

- /usr/lib64/dotnet/shared/$NAME/$VERSION/foo.dll
- /usr/lib64/dotnet/shared/$NAME/$VERSION/foo.pdb

I was thinking that it might be possible to put the .dll file in the
base package (eg, dotnet-runtime-8.0) and the .pdb file in the debug package
(eg, dotnet-runtime-8.0-debuginfo) somehow.

Thanks,
Omair

--
PGP Key: B157A9F0 (http://pgp.mit.edu/)
Fingerprint = 9DB5 2F0B FD3E C239 E108  E7BD DF99 7AF8 B157 A9F0