Re: DNF5: Checking signatures of packages installed out of a repository?

On Wed, Nov 01, 2023 at 10:49:36AM -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 01, 2023 at 11:05:33AM -0400, Christopher wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 31, 2023 at 7:50 PM Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > FWIW, from what I can recall, yum used to check all packages, but this
> > > resulted in tons of people complaining because they did not want it to
> > > check their local packages. So, a localpkg_gpgcheck option was added and
> > > set to false. dnf4 still has this option.
> >
> > I wasn't aware of that change in behavior. I can't find that option
> > documented in the man page for dnf or any other readily available docs
> > about dnf in my installation, or present in my dnf.conf file. I don't
>
> Odd. It's in the dnf.conf man page here in rawhide:
>
> "localpkg_gpgcheck
>               boolean
>
>               Whether  to  perform  a  GPG signature check on local packages (packages in a
>               file, not in a repository).  The default is False.  This option is subject to
>               the active RPM security policy (see gpgcheck for more details).
> "
>
> Looks like it was added to yum 13 years ago:
> https://github.com/rpm-software-management/yum/commit/290933489b1aaeb1017d10fb59ccf3231e309115

This is pretty badly documented. I'm pretty sure that most people will
not guess that any URL qualifies as "in a file".

The approach to security nowadays is much stricter than 13 years ago…
I think we should revisit this decision.

> > remember anybody ever complaining, certainly not "tons of people".
>
> This was 13-14 years ago.
>
> > Using local RPMs is a pretty rare thing. I can't imagine too many
> > people complaining about this. It was never much of a burden, and to
> > the extent that it was, it was a burden that was a worthwhile tradeoff
> > for increased security.
>
> I'm just relaying the history here...
>
> > It's also not clear when this option would take effect. Would it take
> > effect if I did `dnf install /path/to/local/file` or just when I did
>
> no, because that looks up that file in your repos and downloads the repo
> version of the package.
>
> > `dnf localinstall /path/to/local/file`? What if I did `dnf

My vote would be:
'dnf install /path/to/file' default to warn-but-allow (*)
'dnf install https://some.url/' default to an enforcing check

For files outside of a repo, the current set of keys registered
with rpm should be used. A valid-signature-with-unknown-key must be
rejected when the check is enforcing.

If such fine-grained policy is not possible, then I think
defaulting to requiring explicit --nogpgcheck would be better
than status quo.

(*) I think that 99% of the time when you're doing a local install
like that, the package was built by the user and it's convenient
to skip the check.

Zbyszek