Re: F40 Change Proposal: KDE Plasma 6 (System Wide)

On Thu, Sep 14, 2023 at 11:56 AM Ian Pilcher <arequipeno@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 9/13/23 12:52, Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
> >> For Fedora Linux, the transition to KDE Plasma 6 will also include
> >> dropping support for the X11 session entirely, leaving only Plasma Wayland
> >> as the sole offered desktop mode.
> >
> > Huh?! Why?! KDE upstream is still supporting X11 in Plasma 6. I see no
> > reason to force Wayland upon all users. I do not want Wayland on my desktop
> > (it is already enough of a pain that it is forced upon us by Plasma Mobile
> > on the PinePhone) and I will have to switch to another distribution and
> > orphan all my packages if this happens.
>
> There are critical pieces of functionality (e.g. screen sharing) that
> still don't work reliably on Wayland.

I am interested in learning where you're seeing screen sharing issues
today. The main one people bring up with me is video conferencing
systems, and because of completely unrelated reasons, I've been on a
binge of using a variety of them.

On my Plasma Wayland environment using Firefox (v117 from Fedora), I
was able to successfully use the following conferencing platforms with
screen sharing:

* Google Meet
* Jitsi Meet
* Big Blue Button

I have additionally verified using Google Chrome (v116 from Google),
that I was able to successfully use the following platforms with
screen sharing:

* Google Meet
* Jitsi Meet
* Big Blue Button
* Microsoft Teams
* Amazon Chime
* Cisco WebEx
* Zoom

Special note about Zoom: if you're using the desktop application,
there is a small workaround required: it needs to currently be tricked
into thinking it's running on GNOME to run the Wayland support code.
This was not needed for a short time, but for some reason, they put it
back.

To fix this, make a copy of the Zoom desktop file in
`/usr/share/applications` and put it in `~/.local/share/applications`,
then edit the `Exec=` line in the new file to prepend
`XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=GNOME` to the Zoom binary call. That will allow
the Wayland code to work. The code works fine on KDE Plasma, since it
uses the xdg-desktop-portal system. If you're a customer of Zoom,
please complain to them. Alas, I no longer am, so I have no stick I
can wave to get them to fix things anymore.