Re: F40 Change Proposal: KDE Plasma 6 (System Wide)

On Wed, 13 Sep 2023, Neal Gompa wrote:

On Wed, Sep 13, 2023 at 7:02 PM Steven A. Falco <stevenfalco@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 9/13/23 05:23 PM, Neal Gompa wrote:
Right. And I want to stress we are not dropping support for X11
applications. Anything running as an X client in a desktop should work
as it has before.

I'm not convinced KiCad will work in that scenario, so please let me summarize what I've read here, and please correct me if I have any of this wrong.

The thing being removed is "Plasma(X11)", which is a native X11 stack; i.e. no Wayland or Xwayland is involved when using Plasma(X11).  This mode is well supported by KiCad, and additionally it works well with my multi-monitor setup.

Should the change proposal be accepted, "Plasma(X11)" will be removed, leaving "Plasma(Wayland)" as the only available KDE mode.  Also, all X11 applications will then be forced to use XWayland rather than X11, at least under KDE.

Assuming my summary is correct, here are my personal problems:

Problem 1: The KiCad team says they don't support XWayland (nor do they support pure Wayland) because of bugs.

From what I've read through the issues, the ultimate problem is in
GTK, not wxWidgets, as there is in fact a supported Wayland protocol
for mouse warping[1]. Does this issue exist when using wxQt instead of
wxGTK? Admittedly, I'm not sure of the state of things with wxWidgets
and the backends...

[1]: https://wayland.app/protocols/pointer-constraints-unstable-v1

wxQt port is experimental at this point. I'm not aware of it being used widely.

wxWidgets would be glad to support cursor warping on Wayland. It just needs someone who knows how do it to implement it, if GTK isn't going to offer an API.

Does QCursor::setPos() work on Wayland?

Scott