Opportunity Open Source - OpenPrinting track

Hi all,

I've joined virtually the Opportunity Open Source conference at IIT Mandi, India, where we as OpenPrinting held track about the recent events in our group.

Brief summary:

- current CUPS 2.4.x works with classic drivers and printer applications, as whole 2.x series will

- Till works on finishing common-print-dialog-backends into Ubuntu, so GTK4 applications can use unified print dialog with the latest features

- CUPS 2.5 is held until we have OAuth support (aimed at the end of this year)

- I will be releasing 2.4.x until CUPS 2.5 gold release - soon there will be 2.4.7 with several bug fixes.

- looking for help with desktop integration and feature implementation

Complete notes are attached.

Zdenek

--
Zdenek Dohnal
Senior Software Engineer

- now we work with printer apps and classic drivers - classic drivers will be removed in CUPS 3
- 2.4 Zdenek Dohnal released manager, 2.5 Till Kamppeter - delayed for OAuth
- 2.5:
  - getting rid of some deprecated functions (windows sspi tls implementation switched for LibreSSL)
  - new requirements - C99 standrad, DNS-SD (Avahi/mDNSResponder), TLS (Gnutls, LibreSSL), ZLIB, POSIX/Win threading
  - for discovery:
    - wide-area DNS-SD for Avahi needs to implemented
    - config profiles needs to be implemented
  - localization improvements
  - OAuth/OpenID - lot of desktop work - API, UI
  - job-sheets-col - (I want to print certain banner onto specific media - classified banner on blue paper)
  - backporting CUPS 3 things:
    - better media-col suppport - cups_media_t
    - HTML/Rest/JSON/JWT apis
    - IPP file API (file of IPP attributes which you can use for printer configuration)
  - profiles - directory with file with plain text files of printers which want to see (~/.cups, ~/.config, /etc/cups/profiles)
    - directives - Server/ServerName/Printer, filtering options (by location name, geo location, type)
  - OAuth/OpenID - replacement for kerberos, because it does not uphold security standards and win moves away from it
    - OAuth does not need root to access the ticket or user changing
    - 2.5 with OAuth and Kerberos, CUPS 3.0 removes Kerberos
    - OpenID needed JSON and JWT
    - basically adding support for RFC 8414/OpenID
    - we need to cache bearer and refresh tokens per user/auth-server in cupsd once this is implemented
    - once we have this we need Authorization UI and CLI tool for authentication
- CUPS 3.0
  - Mike Sweet release manager
  - libcups is now in the first beta, cups-sharing, cups-local in next year
  - cups-commands will be split into cups-local and cups-sharing
  - modular CUPS - library and two type of daemons - sharing, local
  - modules:
    - libcups:
      - ippeverinter, ippevepcl, ippeveps, ippfind, ipptool, ipptransform (for transformations, use in ippeveprinter), libcups (see changes in MIGRATING.md)
      - removed deprecated APIs - bumped SONAME
    - local:
      - cancel, lp, lpq, lpr, lpstat, cups-locald
      - temporary queues+profiles
      - runs as user
      - CUPS 2.x UNIX domain socket, DBUS API, XPC API
      - barely started
      - handling auth and notif UI
      - no web interface
      - job history for current login
      - convertion to/grom PDF/raster as printer wants
    - sharing:
      - cupsaccept, cupsdisable, cupsenable, cupsreject, lpadmin, cups-sharingd
      - for SecurePrint, load balancing, OAuth, ACLs, print accounting
      - config similar to current cupsd
      - only network sockets
      - web interface, printers, jobs
- challenges - broader scope - lot of work on UI - uplifting GNOME/KDE/XFCE for new D-BUS API for printing auth, consent UI - common-print-dialog-backends
  - hopefully we can reuse some of PAPPL, reuse of authorization/notification UI from somewhere
  - bad Ghostscript license complicates PDF conversions with using its API (so we still need call it as binary) - maybe PDFium from Chrome can fix this

Desktop integration of the new architecture

- common print dialog backends now have support in GTK4, working on QT, Firefox
- for non-gnome desktop - update system-config-printer or get printer module from gnome-control-center and make it generic for all desktops (from current Gnome Control Center, GNOME is going to move to a new
  library which is not compatible with non-Gnome desktops)