Re: Intent to orphan vpnc

On Wed, Sep 6, 2023 at 12:02 PM Leon Fauster via devel <devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Am 06.09.23 um 00:08 schrieb Christian Krause:
> Hello,
>
> vpnc is a VPN client which can be used with certain VPN devices:
> https://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~massar/vpnc/
> <https://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~massar/vpnc/>
>
> The last co-maintainer who actively maintained the package for the last
> few years just stepped back. Since I don't have a use case for it
> anymore (and no ability for testing), I'm going to orphan it in the next
> few days.

This is unfortunate as to my knowledge it is still the vpn-client that would be used for the - at least in Germany - wide spread
Fritz-Box-Devices.
With very recent firmware updates Fritz-Boxes now do offer Wireguard-VPN as well but not running anything like
a dyndns-client on the Fritz-Box (behind another router supplied by the internet-provider e.g.) I wasn't able to
configure Wireguard-VPN. With the legacy VPN a port-forwarding on the router facing the internet was enough.

> The only package which depends on vpnc is NetworkManager-vpnc.
>
> There is no active upstream for vpnc. However, according to the bug
> reports for NetworkManager-vpnc, there might be still a few users.

Just curious - are there other IPsec implementations that could fill the
gap of vpnc? Or is vpnc very specific?

Would be curious as well if there is anything else available that would
work with the Fritz-Box-VPN.
vpnc btw. has a 'fix' specific to Fritz-Box btw. which might mean that
other implementations might not work for that purpose.

Regards,
Klaus

--
Leon