Re: Podman issue might be breaking toolbx anytime now

Hi Sumantro and Debarshi, hi fellow podman users,

trying to wade through all this: I don't think there's anything podman can do to solve this now.

Background:

- the container format metadata has a field for|RLIMIT_NPROC (i.e., what you set via `ulimit -u`)|

|- this field is optional, but important to some use cases, because it can be used to set nonstandard limits|

|- podman uses that field at container start time to set the ulimits, which usually always works on the same machine, as ulimits rarely decrease

|  - this addition of the field by default was recognized as a design mistake and removed, so in the future these problems won't happen, unless a user explicitly adds a limit to the metadata.

|- pre podman 4.6, that field was just generally added to the container metadata at container creation, with the values present at creation time|

|- somewhere on the journey, the default ulimits on F38 got decreased
  ** To little surprise, that means that software relying on RLIMIT_NPROC being as it used to be breaks **|

|So, to me this very clearly is a fedora regression, where we (probably for good reason) reduced that specific ulimit, but forgot to then add a script to go through the toolbox containers created on the affected machines to adjust or remove that tag.|

|It's not podman's job to fix toolbox or Fedora's ulimits handling, so I don't think that issue on the podman bugtracker has all too much chances of solving the situation.|

|Hotfixes are also easy: just roll out a toolbox update which upon toolbox start, for each toolbox container|removes the annotation. The nu-cular way here is [1], i.e. exporting of the container filesystem to an archive and recreation of an image from that, and then recreation of the toolbox container from that. I'm almost certain there's IO-cheaper alternatives (not like one can't fiddle with the container config.json if one knows who owns the container).

Cheers,
Marcus

[1] https://github.com/containers/podman/issues/19634#issuecomment-1680734973