Re: dist-git: Diverging branches can't be fast-forwarded

On Fri, Jul 21, 2023 at 10:28:04AM +0200, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
> When I make SPDX statistics I have git checkout of all dist-gits and do
> git-pull every two week there. This morning I found that two times I got an
> error:
>
> hint: Diverging branches can't be fast-forwarded, you need to either:
> hint:
> hint: git merge --no-ff
> hint:
> hint: or:
> hint:
> hint: git rebase
> hint:
> hint: Disable this message with "git config advice.diverging false"
> fatal: Not possible to fast-forward, aborting.
> Could not execute pull: Failed to execute command.
>
> I was under the impression that our dist-git can have only forward commits.

Stricly speaking, we do allow removal of commits in very limited circumstances,
see https://pagure.io/releng/blob/main/f/scripts/distgit-branch-unused.py.
In principle somebody could then recreate the branch with different commits.
But release branches are not allowed to be removed, and you're pulling release
branches, so I don't think this is the case.

> Is this expected? Or is this sign of something malicious happenening?

Dunno. Generally the most likely explanation would be that you have local
commits. But if that is impossible, then something strange is going on.
Can you identify the repos in question?

Zbyszek