Re: [Question] how to make Fedora linux os ?

Miao, Jun wrote:
> Hi Guys,

First of all, we are not all guys. (I happen to be one though.)

> AFAIK, the Yocto Project is an open source collaboration project that
> provides tools, templates, and methods to help developers create custom
> Linux-based systems for embedded devices.
>
> My confusion is that:
>
>   1.  what`s the tool to make our Fedora Linux 38 released like Yocto?

There is more than one tool in use. The main build tool is Koji, but it
depends on other underlying tools such as Mock, DNF, RPM, etc. Also keep in
mind that in Fedora, all binaries are natively compiled, not cross-compiled
as in Yocto. I.e., the rpmbuild process needs to run on a (real or emulated)
CPU of the architecture for which you want to build the package. RPMs do not
typically support cross-compilation.

>   2.  And Centos ?

The only CentOS that is left is CentOS Stream, which (as far as I know) also
uses Koji.

The CentOS successors such as Rocky Linux and AlmaLinux are free to either
also use Koji or use their own tools, or a combination. E.g., Rocky Linux
has developed Peridot.

>   3.  And Ubuntu ?

Ubuntu has its own completely different tooling built around Debian's
tooling and Canonical's Launchpad platform.

        Kevin Kofler