Re: F40 Change: Privacy-preserving Telemetry for Fedora Workstation (System-Wide)

On Sat, 2023-07-15 at 15:01 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2023 at 12:25:48PM -0400, Przemek Klosowski via devel wrote:
> > One missing piece might be for Fedora organization to commit to a
> > policy of protecting such data collections, by publishing a legally
> > sound declaration about its intentions and practices. Currently, we
> > have this
> >
> >     https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/legal/privacy/
> >
> > which in my 'not-a-lawyer' view seems to be targeted to the web
> > collection and may be US-centric, so maybe it could use some legal
> > wordsmithing.
>
> Should this proposal be accepted, there will be a separate document. And,
> unrelatedly, the existing privacy statement is in the process of an update
> -- needs a refresh for legal changes, and there are number of things that it
> suggests we might do that I think we have no interest in and should drop
> (like asking for geo coordinates).

The installer does broad geolocation in order to guess the timezone and
locale, IIRC. grep the anaconda codebase for 'geoip' and you'll find
the code. It basically hits up https://geoip.fedoraproject.org/city ,
so you can go there manually and see what data it gets from you.
--
Adam Williamson (he/him/his)
Fedora QA